The Skype chat & IM app allows to start a new conversation/call with portal users using installed Skype software on user's machine. This portlet uses Skype API to interact with the application.
- List all users in the portal with their primary phone number and Skype ID
- Create a chat/Skype call with single or multiple users
- Save favorite groups and load them on demand
- List all favorite groups that are saved along with options to View/Edit/Delete
- Set the number of Users and Groups per page
- Obtain the Skype Chat & IM app from the Liferay Marketplace.
- Deploy the app in your existing out of the box Liferay installation. If you haven't installed Liferay, please download and follow the instructions to do so.
- Go to site page where you intend to add Skype Chat & IM.
- Click “Add” and search for Skype Chat or navigate to Social category under registered Applications.
- To change the number of Users/Groups per page displayed, navigate to Preferences by clicking Options wheel on top right corner of app.
- Modify the values as needed and click Submit to persist the changes.
The Skype chat application is divided into two sections,
- Skype Groups
- The upper section of the app allows to create User groups by selecting their Skype Id/ Phone number.
- Once a group is selected, the user can Open in Skype to chat/call depending on the selections made.
- The selections can be saved for further use with appropriate names.
- The bottom section of the app displays the users in portal along with their Skype Id and Phone Number.
Chrome browser and HTTPS: cant load skype using the skype uri API, to handle this, the application explicitly opens the skype uri without using that API. Cons about this fix is that it wont detect if skype is installed or not, it just will try to load skype in this scenario (chrome browser/https site)
The latest source code is located at the following location:
We welcome feature/bug reports concerning the Skype Chat & IM app. Discussion helps clarify the ways the app can be used and also helps define directions for future development. Please post your concerns at http://issues.rivetlogic.com/browse/LRA