The Virtual Meeting Rooms app allows your portal users to have their own virtual meeting rooms in which they can host AWS Chime meetings. They don't need to download or install any additional software to host or participate in these meetings. People can gather in these virtual meeting rooms and communicate through audio and video. You only need to have an AWS account, and after one time simple configuration all of your portal users will have their own virtual room. You don't need to pay extra seat licenses for each of your users, you only need to pay for your AWS Chime usage.
More about the AWS Chime costs here:
- One time simple configuration will enable all of your portal users to have their own virtual meeting room.
- Your portal users don't need to download or install any additional software to host or participate in meetings.
- People can gather in these virtual meeting rooms and communicate through audio, video and share their screens.
- You don't need to pay extra seat licenses for each of your users, you only need to pay for your AWS Chime usage.
- Each portal user will have its own URL where the virtual meeting room can be accessed.
- It is possible to send meeting invites, and any user is able to connect to a meeting by having the virtual meeting room URL.
- To use this app you need an AWS account with Chime permissions.
- Host a meeting and invite users: you can give your meeting an optional name and invite users to join it. You can search the portal users for the users you want to notify.
- See other participants and hear them speak: before joining a meeting the participants need to share their cameras and microphones.
- Share your screen: by using the meeting toolbar, you can share your screen.
- Use the meeting toolbar: to mute yourself, leave the meeting, share your screen or go to full screen mode.
- Be notified when someone invites you to a meeting: the app uses Liferay's standard notification system.
AWS account with Chime permissions
This app needs an AWS account or IAM Role with the following permissions:
Your credentials will be detected in properties files or environment variables as explained here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/sdk-for-java/v1/developer-guide/setup-credentials.html
It is very easy to set your credentials using OS environment variables :
- To set these variables on Linux, macOS, or Unix, use export :
- To set these variables on Windows, use set :
Virtual Meeting Rooms is a lightweight plugin, so the installation is fairly simple. The installation steps are as follows:
1. Obtain the Virtual Meeting Rooms app from the Liferay Marketplace.
2. Deploy the app in your existing out of the box Liferay installation. If you haven't installed Liferay, please download and follow the instructions to do so.
3. Go to a site page where you intend to let users to create new meetings and invite other users, then add the plugin called RivetChimeMeetingCreate.
4. Go to another site page where users are going to be able to join meetings, then add the plugin called RivetChimeMeetingActiveSession. Copy the URL of this page.
5. Go back to the first page where RivetChimeMeetingCreate is located and on its configuration, paste the previous URL on the field Base Meeting URL.
- A maximum of 16 people at a time can meet in a virtual room.
- You need to share your screen and audio in order to participate in a meeting.
- Only one person at a time can share the screen.
Your users get an error when they try to access the plugin to create meetings
This error is because the app can't find your AWS credentials. You should probably see this Liferay's log entry
software.amazon.awssdk.core.exception.SdkClientException: Unable to load credentials from any of the providers in the chain AwsCredentialsProviderChain(credentialsProviders=[SystemPropertyCredentialsProvider(), EnvironmentVariableCredentialsProvider(), WebIdentityTokenCredentialsProvider(), ProfileCredentialsProvider(), ContainerCredentialsProvider(), InstanceProfileCredentialsProvider()]) : [SystemPropertyCredentialsProvider(): Unable to load credentials from system settings. Access key must be specified either via environment variable (AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID) or system property (aws.accessKeyId)., EnvironmentVariableCredentialsProvider(): Unable to load credentials from system settings. Access key must be specified either via environment variable (AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID) or system property (aws.accessKeyId)., WebIdentityTokenCredentialsProvider(): Either the environment variable AWS_WEB_IDENTITY_TOKEN_FILE or the javaproperty aws.webIdentityTokenFile must be set., ProfileCredentialsProvider(): Profile file contained no credentials for profile 'default': ProfileFile(profiles=), ContainerCredentialsProvider(): Cannot fetch credentials from container - neither AWS_CONTAINER_CREDENTIALS_FULL_URI or AWS_CONTAINER_CREDENTIALS_RELATIVE_URI environment variables are set., InstanceProfileCredentialsProvider(): Unable to load credentials from service endpoint.]
Your users get an error when they are are creating a meeting
This error is because the provided AWS credentials are invalid or don't have Chime permissions.
We welcome feature/bug reports concerning this app. Discussion helps clarify the ways the app can be used and also helps define directions for future development. Please send your message to. firstname.lastname@example.org
|1.0.0||Dec, 2020||Initial Release|