SummaryThe Tip of the Day app allows the site administrator to categorize certain content as tips that will be shown to the user on a periodic basis. The app allows the users to turn on/off the display of those tips or launch them anytime from the dockbar.
- The app displays categorized articles.
- Allows the user to navigate back and forth between tips.
- Allows configuration of multiple categories as tips through Site administration.
- Automatically displays the tips on each login or every "x" days, as is established on the Tips of the Day configuration portlet.
- Automatically remembers which tips have been seen by each user to hide them next time.
- Allows tips to be configured on a per site basis
- In the user dockbar a help button is displayed, here the user is allowed to:
- Display the tips right away.
- Choose if he/she wants to see the tips.
- Choose if he/she wants to see only new tips.
- Obtain the Tip of the Day app from Liferay Market Place.
- Deploy the app in your existing out of the box Liferay installation. If you haven't installed Liferay, please download and follow the instructions to do so.
- When the app is installed all the users will be able to see the help menu item in the dockbar.
- Administrators have to setup the initial configuration to enable the tips. This is detailed in the configuration section.
- Since the contents displayed as tips are categorized articles, start with creating a category.
- Navigate to the Control Panel -> <Site Name> -> Site Administration -> Content -> Categories.
- Create a new category (name it "Tip of the Day", but it can be anything).
Select Category, display frequency and Journal Article title display
- Navigate to the Control Panel -> <Site Name> -> Site Administration -> Configuration -> Tip of the Day.
- Click "Select" and choose the category that was created earlier (in this case "Tip of the Day").
- You can select how often the tips will be displayed.
- Check "Show article title" checkbox in order for the popup to display the title of the selected article
- Administrators can configure Roles like Web Content Creators in the "Define Permission" option for the roles to allow access under site administration.
- Administrators or assigned roles can choose a Category of the article to display.
The latest source code is located at the following url:
We welcome feature/bug reports concerning the Tip of the Day and other improvements customers may want. Discussion helps clarify the ways the app can be used and also helps define directions for future development. Please post your concerns at http://issues.rivetlogic.com/browse/LRA